This homemade Instant Pot hummus has a smooth, velvety texture and authentic flavor. It’s gluten-free, vegan-friendly. Use it in wraps, salads, or as a dip.
- 1 cup dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 3–4 cups hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 cube vegetable stock
For the hummu dip
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons light tahini
- 5–6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped roughly
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- A pinch of salt (more if you prefer, taste at the end)
- 2/3 cup cooking liquid (maybe a little more to make it thinner, depending on the size of the chickpeas)
- Drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of paprika and cumin powder
- If soaking the chickpeas, add them to a bowl with hot water and salt and leave for 6-8 hours. Then rinse and add to the Instant Pot.
- Cooking from dried. Add chickpeas to the Instant Pot and cover with 3 cups of water. Break and add a cube of vegetable stock. You can use ready-made vegetable stock instead. Place and lock the lid, make sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to Sealing. Press Manual (HIGH Pressure) and adjust to 40 minutes. After 3 beeps the pressure cooker will start going. Once the timer goes off, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes and then use the quick release method before you open the lid.
- Cooking from soaked. Repeat as above but set the timer to 25 minutes.
- Once cooked, strain the chickpeas through a sieve but make sure to reserve the cooking liquid.
- Add the cooked chickpeas to a food processor and add the olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cumin and a little pinch of salt. Add about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid and process into thick puree. Stop and scrape the mixture from the sides and then process again. Add the rest of the liquid and process again until smooth. If you’re not planning to eat the hummus right away, I recommend making it a little thinner in texture than what you would like as it will firm up a little more with time. So feel free to add a little more cooking liquid or filtered water, a tablespoon or so at a time.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of paprika or/and cumin. Store in an airtight container for up to 5-6 days.