This delicious one-pot osso buco with rice is the perfect dish to cook in your Instant Pot. If osso buco/veal shanks are not available, you can use other types of braising meat
- 4 veal osso buco shanks or lamb shanks (about 1.4 lb / 650–700 g with the bone in)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large celery stick, diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Generous pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 large cloves of garlic, diced or sliced
- 1/3 cup red wine or white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 cups chicken stock (weused water and 1 stock cube)
- 1 cup tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Tamari or soy sauce (optional)
- 1 cup uncooked Basmati rice or other long-grain rice
- 3–4 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 small clove of garlic, grated
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Part 1. Pat-dry the meat using paper towel. Season the meat with a little salt and pepper.
- Add olive oil to the Instant Pot and press Sauté. Once hot, add the veal shanks and pan-fry for 20-30 seconds on each side to seal. You can do this in batches, if you can’t fit all four pieces in the pot.
- Part 2. While still on Sauté, remove the shanks to a plate. Add the onion, carrot and celery with an extra teaspoon of oil and some salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add red wine and stir for 30 seconds. Then add the rest of the ingredients, except for rice, and stir through. Return the meat to the pot and submerge under the sauce, allowing some of the vegetables to go above and in between the pieces. Press Keep Warm/Cancel to stop the Sauté process.
- Place and lock the lid, making sure the steam release handle is pointing to Sealing. Press Manual (High Pressure) and set the timer to 35 mins. After 3 beeps, the pressure cooker will start going.
- In the meantime, rinse the rice in cold water 4-5 times until the water runs clean and leave in the sieve to strain.
- Once the timer goes off, let some of the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then use the quick release method to let the rest of the steam out. Once the pressure valve is down, open the lid. Remove the bigger pieces of the meat (it should be falling off the bone) to a plate. Add the uncooked rice to the pot and stir through. Place the meat and bones back on the top and allow to submerge slightly.
- Press and lock the lid of the pressure cooker. Press the Rice function key (Normal, 10 Minutes) and let it do its thing. Prepare the gremolata by mixing chopped parsley with grated lemon zest and garlic in a little bowl.
- Once the timer goes off, use the qick release to let off the pressure. Open the lid and serve the osso buco rice topped with a generous sprinkle of gremolata.