Learn how to make sticky golden glazed mustard maple chicken wings with your Instant Pot and the oven or barbecue grill. These are gluten-free and paleo-friendly and are great as finger food, family dinner or for game night.
2 lb / 1 kg chicken wings (50/50 wings and drummettes)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 teaspoons mustard
For the roasting glaze
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
For final brushing
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon mustard
A little sea salt
- Mix the chicken wings with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powders, lemon juice and mustard. Use your hands to coat the meat evenly.
- Place the trivet inside the pot and add 1 cup of water. Lay the chicken wings on top of the trivet. Start with larger pieces and build up with the smaller wings on the top.
- Pop the lid on top, lock and set to Manual/Pressure Cook for 5 minutes (at HIGH pressure). The Instant Pot will take about 5 minutes to come to pressure.
- In the meantime, mix the roasting glaze sauce and preheat the oven to 480 F / 250 C. Prepare a large oven tray lined with foil (to catch any drippings) and an oven rack. Finishing the wings on a rack will allow for the hot air to circulate all around the meat, rather than just the top.
- Once the timer is done, allow about 5-7 minutes for natural pressure release, then use the quick release method to let off the remaining pressure (point the top valve to Venting or press it down on Nova models).
Transfer the pre-cooked wings to a bowl and pour in the glaze sauce. Toss through the wings well to coat evenly.
- Lay the glazed wings on an oven rack (dip them into the glaze in the bottom of the bowl to coat one final time). Make sure to leave some space between pieces for even roasting. Pop in the hot oven, middle shelf and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the tray, turn over the pieces and brush the wings with the remaining glaze from the bowl and pop back in the oven for 5-7 more minutes.
- Transfer cooked chicken wings onto a serving plate. Brush the tops with a little extra maple syrup and lemon juice mix to a little shine. This is optional as they will be tasty already. Serve while hot but they are also tasty cold.
Can I make these maple chicken wings without the Instant Pot? Yes, of course. Repeat the first step (marinate the chicken) and preheat the oven to 480 F / 250 C. Bake the chicken wings for 20 minutes then remove and coat with the glaze. Repeat the final two baking stages with the glaze on. Total cooking time should be 35-40 minutes.
Barbecue grill finish: Toss the pre-cooked chicken wings in the glaze and grill on a hot barbecue for 4-5 minutes each side or until golden brown to the desired effect. The meat will already be cooked through so it’s about getting the color and sticky caramelization from the heat.