Healthy and delicious Instant Pot lentil stew with sweet potatoes and mushrooms. This hearty dish is lightly spiced but not hot and has a lovely smokiness to it. Enjoy as it is or with a side of rice, potatoes or pasta. This recipe is vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free.
This recipe was made in the 6-quart Instant Pot Duo pressure cooker.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, diced finely
2 celery sticks, diced into small cubes
1 medium carrot, diced into cubes (5 oz/150 g)
3 large cloves of garlic, diced
5 large mushrooms, diced (4-5 oz/ 125 g)
1.5 cups diced sweet potato (7 oz / 220 g)
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme (dry rosemary or oregano can be used)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup dry green lentils (6-7 oz / 180 g, unsoaked!)
1 can tinned chopped tomatoes (about 14 oz/400 g)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (or A1 sauce)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
500 ml vegetable stock (2-2.5 cups)
To serve: Greek or dairy-free yoghurt or sour cream, cilantro and fried shallots
- Turn the Instant Pot and press the Saute function key. Once heated, add the olive oil, onions, celery and carrot and season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring a few times until softened.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir through. Press Cancel to stop the Saute function.
- Pop the lid on and close, making sure the top valve is set to Sealing. Press Manual/Pressure Cook and set to 6 minutes on HIGH pressure. The Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to build up the pressure.
- Once done, allow about 10 minutes for natural pressure release and then use the quick release method (point the valve to Venting) to let off the remaining pressure.
- Open and stir, taste for salt. Serve with Greek or dairy-free yoghurt or sour cream, fresh cilantro and fried shallots (if you like).
Stovetop method: Repeat the Saute process in a heavy pot or saucepan. Once you add the rest of the ingredients, bring everything to a boil and then turn the heat down to simmering (low-medium). Cook for about 20-30 minutes, covered with a lid until the lentils are nice and soft. Stir a few times during cooking.