Homemade Instant Pot potato leek with a healthy twist of kale. This is so much better than the canned or boxed potato soups and is so quick and easy with your pressure cooker. This soup is vegetarian and gluten-free.
- 1.2–1.4 oz of butter (35–40 g)
- 2 large leeks, sliced roughly (white and pale green parts, about 0.8 lb / 400 g)
- A generous pinch of salt
- 1.3 lb / 600 g white potatoes, peeled and diced into large cubes
- 3 large handfuls of kale leaves (about 3.5 oz. / 100 g)
- 3 cloves garlic, diced roughly
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or yellow
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest (reserve half for garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1.5 Litre vegetable stock (or water + 3 x vegetable stock cube)
- 2.8 oz. / 80 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup cream (half & half, optional)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon + the rest of the lemon zest (see above)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Extra black pepper
- Press the Sauté key on the Instant Pot (it should say Normal, 30 mins). Add the butter and let it melt while you finish preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the leeks and stir through with the butter. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add the potatoes, kale and garlic and stir through, then add the rest of the ingredients except for the cheese. Stir to combine and press the Keep Warm/Cancel button.
- Place and lock the lid, make sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to Sealing. Press Manual, High Pressure, and set the timer to 10 minutes. After 3 beeps the pressure cooker will start going.
- Once the timer goes off, allow the pressure to release for 5 minutes and then use the quick release method before opening the lid.
- Add the cheese and stir to melt through. Add the cream (if using), lemon juice and the rest of the lemon zest. Process the soup into a puree. Option 1: Use an immersion stick blender directly in the pot. Option 2: Transfer the soup, together with the vegetables, to a blender or a food processor in 2-3 batches. Make sure to only fill up the blender half way, maybe three quarters, as the mixture will expand and move up the sides while blending. You will save yourself the mess!
- Once smooth, stir in the parsley. Serve the soup in bowls sprinkled with extra parsley and black pepper.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 339
- Sugar: 9.3 g
- Sodium: 1248.4 mg
- Fat: 16.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 42.5 g
- Fiber: 5.3 g
- Protein: 9.4 g
- Cholesterol: 43.9 mg
Keywords: Leeks, Cheddar, Kale, Potatoes