This homemade Instant Pot yellow rice recipe is free of MSG, additives or preservatives. It’s also naturally gluten-free and is made with sweet corn and peas adding even more nutrients.
- 2 cups basmati rice (see notes above)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons of chopped cilantro stalks (optional)
- 2 large cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 1 heaped teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen garden peas
- 2 + 1/4 cups chicken stock
- Optional: A dollop of butter, to finish (or olive oil can also be used)
- Rinse the rice in cold water 4 times to remove as much of the starch as possible. This will help to keep the rice nice and fluffy.
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the Sauté function key button. Add the olive oil, onions and salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring a few times until softened.
- Add the chopped cilantro, garlic and turmeric powder and stir through. I like to add a little extra drizzle of olive oil but that’s not essential. Now add the corn, peas and rice and pour over the chicken stock. Stir through and turn the Sauté off by pressing the Keep Warm/Cancel button.
- Place and lock the lid, make sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to Sealing. Set to Manual, HIGH Pressure and adjust the time to 4 minutes. You will hear 3 beeps letting you know you the Instant Pot is starting to build the pressure and cook (this should take about 5-7 minutes).
- Once the timer goes off, turn the Instant Pot off and let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes. Then use the quick release to let off the rest of the steam.
- Open the lid and add a dollop of butter or extra olive oil, if using. Let it melt into the rice, then fluff it with a fork. Transfer to a serving platter.