This homemade Instant Pot yellow rice recipe is free of MSG, additives or preservatives. It’s also naturally gluten-free and is made with sweet corn and peas adding even more nutrients.
As a kid, I used to love yellow rice. Simply because it’s YELLOW. As an adult, I appreciate it both for the vibrant colour and the flavour. But, I am not talking about the yellow rice you cook out of a packet (you know the one that’s full of added colours, preservatives and MSG). Oh no! This recipe is all homemade with no nasty additives in sight. The best part – it is super quick and easy using an Instant Pot. I show you how to get gorgeous, fluffy, nourishing yellow rice every time.
For this recipe, I am using basmati rice, which has a lower glycemic index and doesn’t spike your blood sugar as much as other types of white rice. I am also using turmeric spice, which gives this dish that beautiful yellow colour and has amazing health benefits.
Onion, garlic and cilantro are also fantastic for your health and add so much flavour to this dish. Plus, using leftover cilantro stalks is a great way to avoid food waste.
Peas add a bit of extra protein, and the sweet corn just takes it to the next level. Bonus: all of these ingredients are affordable and easily available.
The recipe makes a large batch of yellow rice. I usually keep cooked rice in the fridge for no longer than 2-3 days. You can reheat it and enjoy with veggies or a fried egg on top. It can also be turned into a casserole, fishcakes or veggie burgers. You can also freeze it. If freezing the rice, make sure to do so soon after it’s cooked and cooled down. Keep in the freezer for up to one month.
Want more rice recipes using an Instant Pot? Click here.
- 2 cups basmati rice (see notes above)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons of chopped cilantro stalks (optional)
- 2 large cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 1 heaped teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen garden peas
- 2 1/4 cups chicken stock
- A dollop of butter, to finish (optional, olive oil can also be used)
- Rinse the rice in cold water 4 times to remove some of the starch. This will help to keep the rice nice and fluffy.
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the Sauté function key button. Add the olive oil, onions and salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring a few times until softened.
- Add the chopped cilantro, garlic and turmeric powder and stir through. I like to add a little extra drizzle of olive oil but that’s not essential. Now add the corn, peas and rice and pour over the chicken stock. Stir through and turn the Sauté off by pressing the Keep Warm/Cancel button.
- Place and lock the lid, make sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to Sealing. Set to Manual, HIGH Pressure and adjust the time to 4 minutes. You will hear 3 beeps letting you know you the Instant Pot is starting to build the pressure and cook (this should take about 5-7 minutes).
- Once the timer goes off, turn the Instant Pot off and let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes. Then use the quick release to let off the rest of the steam.
- Open the lid and add a dollop of butter, if using. Let it melt into the rice, then fluff it with a fork. Transfer to a serving platter.