Instant Pot whole chicken spiced and lightly blackened is just as good as when made in the oven but faster. Serve with your favorite veggie sides for a perfect Sunday supper or midweek dinner.
1 (3-to 4-lb [1.3-to 1.8-kg]) whole chicken, innards removed
1 tbsp (15 g) unsalted butter
2 tbsp (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
3 tbsp (23 g) Blackening Seasoning Mix
Small handful of fresh parsley
½ cup (120 ml) water
- Remove the chicken from its packaging. Pat it dry using paper towels. Set the chicken on a baking sheet topped with a wire rack. Put the chicken in the fridge overnight to dry out.
- Rub the chicken all over with the butter and 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil. Loosen the skin over the breasts and rub some olive oil and butter under there too. Season the chicken liberally with the Blackening Seasoning Mix. Place the lemon half and parsley inside the chicken cavity.
- Set the Instant Pot to “Sauté.” Add the other tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil to the Instant Pot.
Add the whole chicken, breast side down. Sear the chicken for 7 minutes.
- After 7 minutes, hit “Cancel,” remove the chicken and transfer it to a plate. Add the water to the pot along with the steam rack.
- Truss the legs together with kitchen twine. Add the chicken back into the Instant Pot by placing it on the steamer rack. Press the “Pressure Cook” button. Adjust to “High Pressure.” Press the “−/+” button until the display screen reads 35 minutes.
- When the timer is done, quick release the pressure. Carefully remove the steamer rack with the chicken still on it. Let the chicken cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
Keywords: Poultry, Roasting