Quick and easy Instant Pot vegetable risotto with lemon & Parmesan is a nutritious dinner meal for the whole family. With step-by-step photos, this beginner-friendly recipe is great to master if you’ve never tried making a pressure cooker risotto before. This recipe is vegetarian and gluten-free friendly.
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 large carrot, diced into small cubes
2 celery ribs, diced into small cubes
1 medium green zucchini, diced into cubes
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cloves garlic, finely diced
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon dried thyme or mixed herbs (like Italian herbs)
1.5 cup Arborio (risotto) rice, unrinsed
4 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1–2 tablespoons lemon juice
Garnish: extra Parmesan cheese and parsley
- Prep. Prepare all ingredients for the cooking stage.
- Sauté. Turn the Instant Pot and press the Sauté button. It should say Normal on the display (this indicates the heat level). Once the inner pot starts heating up, add the olive oil followed by onions and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add carrots and celery cubes and cook for 2 minutes, until slightly translucent.
- Add other ingredients. Add the zucchini, garlic, salt, pepper, herbs, lemon zest and Arborio rice (unrinsed) and stir through. Pour in the stock and stir through, scraping all the bits from the bottom of the pot. Press Cancel to stop the Sauteing process.
- Set & cook. Secure and lock the lid; make sure the pressure handle is pointing to Sealing on Duo Classic. Select Manual/Pressure Cook and adjust the timer to 5 minutes on HIGH pressure. After a few beeps/seconds, the ON sign will come on indicating the pot is heating up and the pressure is building; pressurizing will take about 7 minutes and then the 5-minute timer will begin.
- Once the timer is done, allow the pressure to release naturally for about 2-3 minutes. Then use the quick release method to let off the remaining pressure (press the steam knob down or point to Venting on older models).
- Prepare other bits. While the rice is cooking, prepare butter, Parmesan and lemon juice.
- Finish the dish. Remove the Instant Pot lid. Most of the liquid should be absorbed into the rice but you should still have a little bit left. Add butter, Parmesan cheese and lemon juice to the rice and stir through until melted and creamy. IF the rice has absorbed all stock, you can add a little extra stock or water to thin it out. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Serve with fresh parsley or basil on top and grated Parmesan cheese.
Saute: 5 minutes Pressurizing: 7 minutes | Cooking at pressure: 5 minutes | Release: 2-3 minutes NPR + quick release | Total cooking time: 20 minutes.
Keywords: Risotto, Vegetables, Parmesan, Vegetarian, Rice, Arborio, Instant Pot, Main, Dinner, Pressure Cooking