Learn how to make family-friendly, Italian-inspired Instant Pot tomato tortellini soup with fire-roasted tomatoes and basil. It takes about 30-35 minutes and is perfect for a fall or winter dinner. We used spinach and cheese tortellini but you can add whichever type you like as most of them will go with this soup base.
3 lb /1.3 kg ripe vine tomatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 medium white onion, chopped
3 tablespoons minced garlic
28 oz (2 cans) fire-roasted tomatoes like these
2 cups fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (dry can also be used)
1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1 quart (1 litre) chicken stock or vegetable stock
1 package of ready-made tortellini (we used cheese and spinach)
- Turn your Instant Pot and set to Saute setting.
- If your tomatoes are large, halve or quarter them, place them in the Instant Pot. Add the garlic, onions, olive oil, and salt and pepper, to the tomatoes and toss together until coated. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring often.
- Press Keep Warm/Cancel to turn the Saute function off. Add all remaining ingredients, except the tortellini. Lock the lid, turn the steam release vent to ‘sealing’.
- Set to the Manual/Pressure Cook setting, for 5 minutes at HIGH pressure. Once the time is up, let the pressure drop for an additional 10-15 minutes before opening the lid.
- Blend soup using a hand blender in the pot.
- Add the tortellini to the soup mixture. Turn the Instant Pot to Saute and cook for 3-4 minutes until pasta is al dente (or as per packet instructions).
- Taste for salt and pepper and add more if needed. Serve with fresh basil leaves.
We used ready-made cheese and spinach tortellini but you can use any type. Check the cooking time on the packet.
Serve as is or with grated cheese and crusty bread or garlic bread on the side.
- Serving Size: 1.5 cups soup with cheese spinach tortellini (no extra cheese on top)
- Calories: 398
- Sugar: 13.3 g
- Sodium: 1018.9 mg
- Fat: 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 50.7 g
- Fiber: 7.3 g
- Protein: 15.8 g
- Cholesterol: 29.3 mg