Learn how to make a delicious, Panera-inspired Instant Pot tomato soup that is velvety smooth and full of flavors. It’s made with canned Roma tomatoes, garlic, onions, Italian herbs and a little secret ingredient that brings out the umami flavor in the soup. It’s rich, creamy, comforting and nutritious all in one bowl.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, diced
1 cup vegetable stock (250 ml)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon Italian herbs or dried basil
6 sun-dried tomatoes (in oil)
4 x 15 oz cans of whole Italian tomatoes
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup thickened cream or sour cream
To serve: croutons and Parmesan cheese
- Prepare all ingredients.
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the Saute button. Add two tablespoons of olive oil and onions and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring a few times, until slightly translucent and browned. Now add the garlic and stir, cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in 1 cup of stock to deglaze the pot. Stir and scrape the bottom with a spatula to prevent a possible BURN error that might happen if anything is stuck. Press Cancel to stop the Saute process.
Add the tomatoes and all the juices from the cans. Follow with the remaining ingredients except for cream. Stir through briefly and pop the lid on top.
- Secure the lid and press the Pressure Cook/Manual button. Adjust the time to 5 minutes, on HIGH pressure. The Instant Pot will take about 10-12 minutes to come to pressure and then the 5-minute countdown will begin. Once the timer is done allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes and then use the quick release button/lever to let off the remaining pressure.
- Open the lid and stir the soup. Use an immersion stick blender to puree the soup. You can also use a food processor and puree the soup in batches, make sure to cool it slightly first.
- Finish the soup by stirring in the cream and tasting for salt. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and croutons or grilled toast on the side. Cheese toasties are fabulous with tomato soup!
Whole30/Paleo: Omit the added sugar from the soup, use coconut cream or omit the cream and cheese.
Vegan version: Omit cream and Parmesan or use dairy-free alternatives.
- Serving Size: 1.5 cups of soup with 1 tablespoon Parmesan on top
- Calories: 171
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 898.3 mg
- Fat: 10.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.9 g
- Fiber: 6.1 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 14.9 mg
Keywords: Instant Pot, Pressure Cooker, Soup, Tomato Soup, Panera Bread,