A simple and delicious Instant Pot Southwest rice is a one-pot dish that can be finished and served in five different ways such as cheesy casserole, crispy pan-fried patties, burritos or a salad. Made with sweet corn, black beans and green bell peppers, this Southwestern recipe is inexpensive, vegetarian-friendly and great for making ahead.
For Southwest Rice In Instant Pot
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced finely
1 green bell pepper, diced into small cubes
2 garlic cloves, diced finely
1 can black beans (14 oz), strained
1.5 cups frozen corn
2 cups long-grain rice, rinsed well
1.5 tbsp sweet paprika
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp chilli
1 cube chicken stock (or skip the cube and use ready-made stock instead of water below)
2.5 cups water
1 can (14-15oz) chopped tinned tomatoes
For Tomato Avocado Salad
2 large tomatoes, diced (remove the seeds, if you wish)
1 large or 2 small avocados, diced
1/4 red or white onion, finely diced
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 tsp salt
For Southwest Rice Patties
3 cups cooked Southwest rice
1.5 cups grated cheese like Cheddar or/and Mozzarella (you can do 50/50)
1/4 cup pickled jalapenos, chopped (you can use less or more spice level dependent)
3 tablespoons flour
Olive oil for cooking
For Southwest Rice Casserole
4 cups Southwest rice (or more)
1/3 cup BBQ sauce (smokey or chipotle is best)
2–3 cups grated/shredded cheese
- Rinse rice under cold water 4-5 times and drain in a sieve.
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute mode (Normal) and once hot, add the olive oil, onions and green peppers. Saute for 4-5 minutes, until softened.
- Add garlic, black beans, corn, rice, spices, salt and stock cube (crumbled. Add the water and stir through well, make sure to scrape the bottom so that nothing is stuck (to prevent the BURN ERROR).
- Spread the canned chopped tomatoes over the top but don’t stir through (again, to prevent the burn error).
Secure and lock the lid. Set to Manual/Pressure Cook on HIGH pressure for 4 minutes. After 3 beeps, the Instant Pot will start building up pressure (should take about 10 minutes), and the cooking will commence. Once the timer goes off, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes and then use the quick release to let off the remaining pressure.
- Open the lid and stir through the rice.
- Southwest rice patties: combine the rice with cheese, pickled jalapenos and flour, mix until well incorporated. Shape small patties using your hands (about 2-3 tablespoons per patty) and pan-fry in a little oil over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crispy. Serve with tomato and avocado salad.
- Southwest rice casserole: transfer the pre-cooked rice to a baking dish, drizzle all over with the BBQ sauce and top with the cheese. Bake in the 200 C/ 400F oven for 20 minutes until the cheese has melted and browned slightly around the edges. Serve with tomato avocado salad and sour cream.
- Tomato avocado salsa: mix all ingredients in a bowl, this can be done in advance; season and drizzle with lime and olive oil just before serving for freshness. Serve with the rice as is or with any of the dish variations in this post.
Keywords: Southwest, Southwestern, Rice, Tex Mex, Instant Pot, Black Beans, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free