These Instant Pot beef tacos are made with smoky chipotle chiles and Mexican chorizo for that unforgettable, rustic flavour. Perfect as a filling in tacos, wraps, salad bowls and between soft brioche buns. This guest recipe is from the Amazing Mexican Favorites with Your Instant Pot by Emily Sunwell-Vidaurri and Rudy Vidaurri.
2 tbsp (28 g) butter, ghee or avocado oil
2 lbs (910 g) beef chuck roast, fat trimmed, cut into 4 pieces
1 tsp sea salt, divided
1 lb (455 g) Mexican chorizo, casing removed
1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced
6 fresh garlic cloves, minced
1½ cups (360 ml) beef or chicken broth
3 small tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 tbsp (21 g) honey or maple syrup
3 dried chipotle chiles, stemmed (remove seeds for less heat)
1 tsp coriander seed powder
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp ground cumin powder
Warmed tortillas (gluten-free corn, grain-free, etc.)
Optional toppings and fixings
Fresh cilantro, lime wedges, fresh avocado, sour cream or Mexican crema, sliced radishes, crumbled cotija cheese and/or grated cheese like Monterey Jack, Cilantro Lime Rice (page 119 of the cookbook)
- Add the healthy fat of your choice to the Instant Pot and press “Sauté.” When the fat has melted, add two pieces of the chuck roast, season with ½ teaspoon of the salt and brown on each side, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the browned meat to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining two pieces of chuck roast, season with ½ teaspoon of the salt and brown on each side, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the browned meat and add to the plate with the other browned meat. Add the chorizo and onion to the Instant Pot, sautéing for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the garlic and continue to sauté for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Press the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button.
- Put the broth, tomatoes, honey, chipotle chiles, coriander, oregano and cumin in a blender. Blend on low speed for a few seconds, just until combined.
- Transfer the browned chuck roast to the Instant Pot and cover with the sauce from the blender. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure the steam-release valve is sealed. Press the “Meat/Stew” button and set for 75 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot is done and beeps, press “Keep Warm/Cancel.” Allow the Instant Pot to release pressure naturally for 15 minutes. Using an oven mitt, open the steam-release valve. If there is any steam left over, allow it to release until the silver dial drops, then carefully open the lid.
- Transfer the chuck roast chunks to a large plate and shred the meat using the tines of two forks. Return the shredded meat to the Instant Pot, and stir to coat the meat in the sauce. Serve immediately in your favourite taco tortillas, or serve the meat in burritos, on top of nachos, on top of rice, in burrito bowls, etc. Garnish with the toppings of your choice.
Regular chorizo could be used in place of Mexican chorizo.
Spice level: hot
Keywords: Shredded beef, Tacos, Chipotle, Tex Mex