- 2 lb/ 1 kg diced beef (stewing steak like chuck)
- 2 large cloves of garlic, diced roughly
- 1 cube of beef stock, break it apart into smaller crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt (or regular salt and celery seed powder)
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons Tamari or regular soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoky chilli flakes, like these ones
- 2 cups water
- Optional: 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (this one for paleo/Whole30)
- Add all ingredients (except for the BBQ sauce) to the inner pot of the Instant Pot and mix together. Close and lock the lid, making sure the steam valve is pointing to Sealing. Set to Manual, HIGH pressure and set to 45 minutes. After 3 beeps, the Instant Pot will start to build up the pressure and the cooking will begin. Once done, allow the pressure cooker to release the pressure naturally.
- Open the lid and remove the inner pot with the beef. Pour out the broth into a bowl but return the beef to the inner pot. It should be nice and tender. Use a fork or a potato masher to shred the beef into strips. You can also take some of the bigger pieces out and shred them with a fork and a knife on a chopping board. Return all shredded beef back to the inner pot and add a cup of the cooking broth from the bowl. Press the Sauté function key and stir the beef in the broth for 5 minutes, until it starts sizzling. Then, turn the Instant Pot off.
- At this stage, you can transfer the shredded beef to a container, cool it off slightly and then refrigerate until you need to use it. You can also portion it out and freeze for 2-3 months.
- To turn it into the most delicious barbecue shredded beef, simply stir in 1/2 cup of good quality barbecue sauce to the finished meat and stir through. You can then use it in burgers, sandwiches and wraps.