This Instant Pot risotto is made with sweet fennel and crunchy asparagus, this Italian classic is super easy with a pressure cooker. It’s a great vegetarian and gluten-free dinne meal.
To go in the pot
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium fennel, diced
- 1/2 bunch of asparagus, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 2 cups arborio risotto rice
- 1/3 cup white wine
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 cups vegetable stock (1 cube + 2 cups water)
- 2 cups chicken stock (1 cube + 2 cups water)
- 25 g / 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
To top the risotto
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 fennel, sliced,
- 1/2 asparagus, cut into smaller pieces (see picture)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Press the Sauté key on the Instant Pot (it should say Normal, 30 mins). Add the onions and olive oil and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring a few times.
- In the meantime, prepare the vegetables. Dice half of the fennel and asparagus into smaller cubes to go in the pot, and slice the rest into larger strips and pieces to be pan-fried as a topping.
- Add the diced fennel and asparagus to the pot together with salt and garlic and stir through.
- Add the rice, white wine and lemon zest and stir through.
- Add the stock, stir through and press Keep Warm/Cancel key on the Instant Pot to stop the Sauté function. Make sure to scrape any rice kernels or vegetables off the inner pot walls.
- Place and lock the lid, making sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to Sealing. Press Manual, High pressure and set to 5 minutes. After 3 beeps the pressure cooker will start going.
- While the risotto is cooking, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the remaining fennel and asparagus and sprinkle with salt. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring a few times, until golden and softened. Drizzle with some lemon juice and set aside.
- Once the timer goes off, allow the pressure to release for 2 minutes and then, carefully, use the quick release method to release the rest of the steam and pressure.
- Open the lid and stir in the butter and Parmesan cheese. Add extra pepper and taste for salt. Serve topped with pan-fried asparagus and fennel and a side salad.
Keywords: Gluten-free, Vegetarian, Rice,