Papas y rajas (potatoes and peppers) is a popular Mexican flavour combo. This Instant Pot potato soup takes these two delicious flavours to the next level. This is a guest recipe from the Amazing Mexican Favorites with Your Instant Pot by Emily Sunwell-Vidaurri and Rudy Vidaurri.
3 poblano peppers
3 tbsp (42 g) butter, ghee or avocado oil
1 leek, white and pale green parts only, sliced
5 fresh garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp dried dill
½ tsp smoked paprika
¼ tsp cumin powder
¼ tsp black pepper
3 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
4 cups (1 L) chicken broth or vegetable stock
1 cup (230 g) sour cream or 1 cup (240 ml) heavy cream
½ cup (55 g) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
½ lb (225 g) pan-fried Spanish-style chorizo, sliced into small pieces
Optional Toppings: sour cream, freshly chopped cilantro/spring onions
- Preheat the oven to broil with a rack in the highest position.
- Place the poblano peppers on a baking sheet and broil until they start to blacken, about 3 minutes. Remove from the oven and when cool enough to handle, carefully peel the blackened skin off. Remove the stems and discard. Coarsely chop the peppers, then set them aside.
- Add the healthy fat of your choice to the Instant Pot and press “Sauté.” When the fat has melted, add the leek, sautéing for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the garlic, salt, dill, paprika, cumin and black pepper and continue to sauté for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Press the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button. Add the potatoes, roasted peppers and broth.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure the steam-release valve is sealed. Press the “Manual” button and set for 9 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot is done and beeps, press “Keep Warm/Cancel.” Using an oven mitt, “quick release”/open the steam-release valve. When the steam venting stops and the silver dial drops, carefully open the lid.
- In batches, ladle the soup into a blender, taking care to fill only about half of the blender (hot liquids will expand, so please use caution). Blend on a low setting just until puréed and combined. Add the puréed soup back to the Instant Pot and press “Sauté,” bring to a boil and give it a few stirs. Add the sour cream and cheese and stir until fully combined. Turn off the Instant Pot by pressing “Keep Warm/Cancel.”
- Serve immediately garnished with browned chorizo and the toppings of your choice.
For a vegetarian version, omit the chorizo and use vegetable stock instead of the chicken broth.
Spice level: medium
Keywords: Poblano Peppers, Potatoes, Mexican