Quick and easy creamy green pea soup with Frankfurter sausages you can make in your Instant Pot. It’s super tasty, nutritious and family-friendly.
- 2 leeks, pale green and white bulb parts only, chopped
- 2 oz / 50g unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.2 lb / 550 grams frozen peas
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 litre chicken stock, (or half chicken/half vegetable)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream, creme fresh or heavy cream (double cream)
- 0.8 lb / 400 g frankfurter sausages (hot dogs, we used pork ones)
- To serve: Croutons (see notes) and fresh herbs of choice
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the Sauté function key. Once the bottom is hot, add the butter and leeks and cook for 2-3 minutes to soften. Season with salt.
- Add the frozen peas, a little pepper, 2 bay leaves and a litre or so of chicken stock. You can also do half chicken and half vegetable stock. Stir through and press the Cancel button to stop the Sauteeing.
- Pop the lid on top, lock and set to Manual/Pressure Cook on HIGH pressure for 2 minutes. The Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure (if you use hot stock, it’s much quicker) and then the timer will begin. Once done, release the pressure manually right away (quick release).
- While the soup is cooking, pan-fry the Frankfurter sausages in a little oil until crispy brown. Remove from a pan and set aside. Prepare all other ingredients.
- Open the lid and stir the soup. Add lemon juice and Parmesan cheese and puree the soup until smooth using an immersion blender. You can also transfer the soup (in batches if needed) to a blender or food processor.
You can use ready-made croutons or cut some stale bread into cubes and pan-fry in a little butter with salt and dried herbs until crispy. It’s a great way to use up the leftovers. Try out homemade croutons recipe here.
VEGETARIAN VERSION: Instead of using Frankfurter sausages, pan-fry vegetarian hot dogs, tofu or tempeh. Grilled halloumi cheese or chickpeas can also be added for extra protein.
GLUTEN-FREE: Swap the croutons for gluten-free version or use some chickpeas or broken crackers.
LOWER-CALORIE: Use reduced-fat hot dog links, low-fat sour cream and 1 oz of butter instead of 2 oz.