Learn how to make delicious Italia-inspired Instant Pot mussels with marinara sauce. This dish is gluten-free, low-carb, paleo, Whole30 friendly. You can serve these mussels as they are with the broth or with a side of zucchini noodles, cooked spaghetti or linguine or some crusty bread on the side.
2lb / 1kg mussels
1 small onion, finely diced
1.5 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
A little chili (optional)
3 garlic cloves, finely diced
1 cup diced tinned tomatoes
To finish: parsley or/and basil and 1/2 lemon, cut into wedges
- Clean and rinse the mussels if needed. Prepare other ingredients.
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté and add the onions and olive oil. Sauté until fragrant and lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Then add the salt, pepper, garlic and chili if using. Stir for 10-15 seconds to release the aromas and add the mussels and tinned tomatoes. Stir everything through.
- Press Cancel. Secure the lid and set the top valve to Sealing. Press the Pressure Cook or Manual button and set the cooking time to 3 minutes at HIGH pressure. The Instant Pot will take about 5-8 minutes to come to pressure.
- When the Instant Pot beeps, carefully switch the steam release valve to Venting to quick-release the pressure. When fully released, open the lid. Discard any mussels that did not open during cooking.
- Squeeze the juice of about 1/2 lemon over the cooked mussels and sprinkle the parsley or basil. Toss through and transfer the mussels to a serving bowl; pour the broth over the top. Serve with bread or cooked pasta such as spaghetti or linguine.
If using pre-made marinara sauce, use about 1.5 cups and skip the Sauté step of the recipe. Simply add the mussels and the sauce to the pot and set to pressure cook.
Servings size depends on whether this is a starter or a main, hence we put Yield as 2-4 servings. The nutritional breakdown below is based on 4 servings, so simply double the numbers for bigger portions.