This hearty, creamy Instant Pot mushroom soup is so good, you’ll be asking for seconds before you finish the first bowl. Pressure cooking not only makes it quick and easy – it also helps to intensify the flavours of the ingredients.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 20–25 g dried porcini mushrooms
- 1.5 lb / 700 g Desiree potatoes (or other white potatoes), peeled and diced
- 1.5 lb / 700 g Swiss brown mushrooms, halved or left whole if they are small (you can reserve 5–6 mushrooms to slice and pan-fry to use as a garnish on top of the soup)
- 1 celery stick, sliced
- 8–10 sprigs of fresh thyme (dried is also ok)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or Tamari (wheat-free soy sauce)
- 3 large cloves of garlic, roughly diced
- 1 cube of vegetable stock
- 1 cube of onion stock or 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1.25 Litres water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
To finish the soup
- 1 clove of garlic, diced
- 1/3 cup double cream or thickened cream
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- Turn on the Instant Pot and press the Sauté function key. Add the olive oil, butter, onions, and salt and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring a few times, until softened.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except for cream, extra garlic and lemon) and stir through. Press Keep Warm/Cancel.
- Place the lid and lock. Press Manual, High Pressure, and set for 10 minutes. After three beeps the Instant Pot will begin to build up the pressure and start cooking. Once the cooking finishes, release the pressure naturally for 5 minutes before using quick release to let off the rest of the steam.
- Remove the thyme sprigs from the soup and add in the extra chopped garlic. Stir through. Transfer the soup in 2-3 batches to a food processor or a blender. Cover with a lid and process into pureed soup texture (doesn’t have to be completely smooth and can have finely diced mushrooms still in). Pour the pureed soup to another saucepan or a large bowl while you process the rest of the soup. Then combine all of the pureed soup in a pot and stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice and cream.
- Serve with a swirl of cream on top. If you like, pan-fry a few sliced mushrooms in butter and serve over the top. It’s lovely as is or with some crusty bread and butter on the side.
Keywords: hearty creamy mushroom soup bowl Pressure quick easy