This lovely Instant Pot lamb stew uses Moroccan-inspired ingredients and spices and is cooked up with soft potatoes, carrots and peas for an incredible one-pot dish. Serve it with rice, couscous or quinoa, or low-carb cauliflower rice.
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large cloves of garlic, diced
- 1.7 lb / 800 g diced stewing lamb
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed powder
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 6 dried apricots
- 1 cup (200 g) tinned tomatoes or cherry tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup beef stock or chicken stock
For the second part of cooking
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 3 medium carrots, diced into chunks
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- Turn on the Instant Pot and press the Sauté function key. Add the onions, olive oil, and salt and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring a few times, until softened.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except for the vegetables used in the second part of cooking) and stir through well. While it might seem like you need more liquid, remember that the meat will release its own juices in the cooking process.
- Place and lock the lid, making sure the steam release handle is pointing to Sealing. Press the Manual function key, making sure it’s set to High Pressure, and adjust the timing to 20 minutes. After three beeps the Instant Pot will begin to build up the pressure and start cooking. Once the cooking finishes, release the pressure naturally for 2-3 minutes before using the quick release to let off the rest of the steam. While the lamb is cooking, you can make a quick couscous or rice dish, or prepare some steamed vegetables on the side.
- Add the vegetables and orange zest and stir through. Place and lock the lid again, and set to Manual, High pressure, for 5 minutes. Once the cooking finishes, leave the Instant Pot to release the pressure naturally for 10-12 minutes and then use the quick release method to finish it off.
- Serve with a chosen side and fresh cilantro and scallions as a garnish. A little lime juice is also nice on the side.
Keywords: Lamb, Potatoes, Stew,