You will love this family-friendly, one-pot Instant Pot Moroccan chicken stew with potatoes, carrots, olives, lemon and apricots. Gluten-free and Whole30-friendly. Serve with couscous, rice, quinoa, crusty bread or cauliflower rice or green veggies for a lower-carb version.
2 lb / 1 kg chicken thighs, skin and bone off
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, halved and sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons minced or crushed garlic
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp chili
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp paprika powder
1 tsp cumin powder
Juice of 1/2 orange (about 2–3 tablespoons)
1 cup of chicken stock
2/3 cup olives (green and black)
3 oz / 90 g dried apricots, sliced in halves
1 large carrot, sliced thick
6–7 lemon slices (one small lemon)
4 small potatoes, sliced into quarter wedges (about 0.6 lb / 300 g)
A little extra salt
Garnishes: toasted almonds and fresh parsley
- Prepare all ingredients first. Cut the chicken thighs in halves and trim off any excess fat. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- Turn the Instant Pot and press the Sauté function key. Once the inside of the pot gets hot, add the olive oil, onions and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring a few times until lightly browned.
- Add garlic and spices and stir through to release the aromas. Add the orange juice and chicken stock and stir through, scraping off the bottom. Now, add the chicken pieces, olives, apricots and carrots and stir in the spiced broth.
- Insert lemon slices around the chicken and add the potato wedges on the top. Sprinkle them with a little extra salt.
- Pop the lid on top, lock and make sure the top valve is pointing to Sealing. Press Manual/Pressure Cook and set to 10 minutes at HIGH pressure. The Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes or so to come to pressure. Once the timer is done, allow 15 minutes for natural pressure release and then use the quick release method (point the top valve to Venting) to let off the remaining pressure.
- Open the lid. Remove the potatoes and lemon slices to a plate. Transfer everything but the sauce to an oven-proof casserole dish or frying pan. Place the potatoes and lemon wedges on top. Add heaped tablespoon of flour dissolved in 2 tablespoons of water to the sauce and stir through, to thicken. Pour over the chicken and potatoes and pop the pan under broil/grill for 5-7 minutes to brown slightly. This step is optional as the tagline will be ready to be served right away. I like to finish the whole thing with some toasted almonds and fresh parsley.
- Serve with couscous, rice or cauliflower rice for a lower-carb version.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl without sides
- Calories: 411
- Sugar: 12.8 g
- Sodium: 740 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.9 g
- Fiber: 4.6 g
- Protein: 39.5 g
- Cholesterol: 170.6 mg
Keywords: Moroccan, Chicken Recipes, Potatoes, Tagine, Stew, Whole30