Instant Pot loaded mashed potatoes are creamy and buttery, topped with cheese, bacon and scallions (green onions). They’re a breeze to make and are perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and making ahead. We used white and sweet potatoes for this loaded mashed potato casserole recipe.
3 lb potatoes (mix of Russet white potatoes and sweet potatoes), peeled and cut into large cubes
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
7–8 oz streaky bacon (200 grams)
1 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoons butter (we used salted)
1/2 cup light sour cream
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper (white pepper is best here but black is fine too)
1.5 teaspoon wholegrain mustard (optional)
2 cups shredded cheese (we used a mix of Colby & Cheddar natural colored cheese but yellow is great too)
3 scallions (green onions), chopped pale white and green shoots (1 cup chopped)
Extra salt to taste
- Add peeled, cubed potatoes to the Instant Pot together with 2 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt. Mix and pop the lid on top.
- Set to Pressure Cook on HIGH for 10 minutes. The pressure will take about 12 minutes to build up and then the timer will kick off. Allow 2-3 minutes NPR and then quick release.
- If using the oven, start heating it to 420 F / ~220 C.
- While potatoes are cooking, pan-fry the bacon on medium heat until crispy and browned on both sides. You may have to do this in batches. Transfer to parchment paper to absorb excess oil and once cooled, dice into small cubes. Set aside.
- Prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Open the Instant Pot and strain *most* of the cooking water. We left about 2-3 tablespoons water in the pot but you can also use milk instead.
- Keep the Instant Pot on Keep Warm setting while you add the following: butter, sour cream, mustard, onion powder and pepper. Mash potatoes to desired smoothness consistency. We quite like it a little chunky for this particular recipe.
- Once mashed, add 1 cup of shredded cheese and fold through to melt. Now fold in half of the bacon and half of the green onions.
- Option 1: If not using the oven, add the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese on top of the potatoes and place a lid on top (any lid will do). Leave on Keep Warm setting and wait for 3-4 minutes for the cheese to melt on top. You can now top with the remaining bacon and onions OR you can transfer to a serving dish and then garnish.
- Option 2: If using the oven, transfer the potato mix to a deep casserole dish, top with cheese and pop in the oven for 10 minutes to melt. Remove from the oven, garnish with bacon and onions and serve.
You can use all white or all sweet potatoes if you like.
- Serving Size: A cup full
- Calories: 363
- Sugar: 3.2 g
- Sodium: 362.2 mg
- Fat: 21.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.6 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 11.7 g
- Cholesterol: 49.3 mg
Keywords: Instant Pot, Potatoes, Bacon, Cheese, Sides, Mashed Potatoes, Thanksgiving, Christmas