This recipe for souvlaki-inspired Instant Pot lamb is great for making delicious Greek wraps. Filled with succulent, spiced lamb meat, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, pickled pepperoncini peppers and garlic yogurt, these souvlaki wraps are perfect for lunch or dinner!
For the lamb
1-1.5 lb / 0.5-0.8 kg butterflied lamb shoulder piece
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons paprika powder
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
2 teaspoons cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander seed powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon pepper
For Greek Wraps
6 pita pockets/wraps
1 cup diced cucumber
1 small red onion, sliced
1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes or diced tomatoes
6 pepperoncini peppers, whole or sliced
1/4 cup cilantro leaves or parsley leaves
A few lemon wedges to serve
1/2 cup hummus (optional)
For garlic yoghurt
1 cup Greek yoghurt (unsweetened)
1 large clove of garlic, minced or grated
1/3 teaspoon salt
Optional: grated cucumber to make it into tzatziki or a sprinkle of dried thyme or oregano.
- Ask your butcher to butterfly cut the lamb shoulder so it’s more of an open, flat piece of meat. This way, it needs a shorter cooking time.
- Combine olive oil, lemon juice, spices, salt and pepper in a bowl. Rub all over the lamb, getting inside any cavities. You can leave it to marinate for a few hours or overnight in the fridge for extra flavor but not essential.
- Add a cup of water to the Instant Pot and place the trivet on top. Place the marinated lamb on top of the trivet, fattier side down, so that any rendered fat can drip into the pot.
- Secure the lid and set it to Pressure Cook for 25 minutes on HIGH with complete natural release at the end (meaning, leave the pot alone until all the pressure is out and you can open the lid).
- While the lamb is cooking, prepare the sides: slice cucumbers, halve cherry tomatoes, thinly cut the red onions, wash and pat dry cilantro, and slice any other vegetables you want to use.
- Make garlic yoghurt. Combine the yoghurt, grated or minced garlic and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Open the lid and remove the lamb to a chopping board. Slice into cubes or pieces and arrange on a platter. Drizzle with a few tablespoons of the cooking broth to keep it moist.
- Serve with sliced red onions, cucumbers, tomatoes and pepperoncini peppers. This lamb is great with fresh cilantro or parsley on top and a little drizzle of lemon juice.
- To assemble the wraps, spread a tablespoon of garlic yogurt and a tablespoon of hummus (if using) on warmed-up pita bread. Top with as much lamb as you like followed by some vegetables, onions and pickled pepperoncini. Wrap and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 wrap with 4-5 oz meat, hummus, yogurt and salad
- Calories: 469
- Sugar: 5.3 g
- Sodium: 1239.8 mg
- Fat: 17.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 46.4 g
- Fiber: 6.3 g
- Protein: 34 g
- Cholesterol: 81.3 mg
Keywords: Lamb Recipes, Greek Recipes, Wraps, Lamb Shoulder,