Learn how to make healthy and delicious Instant Pot jerk chicken and quinoa with this easy pot-in-pot recipe. This dish is gluten-free, dairy-free and packed with protein, fibre and nutrients. It’s from the Instant Pot Miracle Healthy Cookbook by Urvashi Pitre. Serve with your favorite salad or vegetable side.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground thyme
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pound / 450-500 g boneless skinless chicken
thighs, each cut into 3 pieces
For the Quinoa
1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2.5 cups water, divided
6x3″ round heat-proof pan & foil
- For the Chicken: In a small bowl, combine the oil, sugar, allspice, thyme, oregano, salt, cinnamon, cayenne, and garlic powder. Whisk until well combined.
- Place the chicken in a resealable plastic bag. Add the marinade, seal, and massage until the chicken is well coated. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes or in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours.
- For the Quinoa: In a 6×3-inch round heatproof pan, combine the quinoa, salt, and 1 cup of the water. Cover with foil.
- Pour the remaining 1.5 cups water into the Instant Pot. Place a trivet in the pot. Set the pan on the trivet, and place the chicken on top of the foil-covered pan.
- Secure the lid on the pot. Make sure the steam release valve is set correctly. Select Pressure Cook/Manual and set the pot at HIGH pressure for 6 minutes. The Instant Pot will show ON and will take about 7-9 minutes to come to pressure, then the 6-minute timer will display.
- At the end of the cooking time, allow the pot to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes (natural pressure release), then release any remaining pressure manually by using the quick-release button/handle on top of the lid.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate. Carefully remove the pan of quinoa from the pot. Serve the chicken over the quinoa.
Note: You may choose to brown the chicken slightly before serving.
- Serving Size: 3 pieces of chicken & quinoa
- Calories: 376
- Sugar: 1.1 g
- Sodium: 369.2 mg
- Fat: 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.1 g
- Fiber: 3.9 g
- Protein: 34.3 g
- Cholesterol: 91.3 mg
Keywords: Chicken, Chicken Thighs, Jamaican, Jerk Chicken, Instant Pot, Quinoa, Healthy, Gluten-Free, Pressure Cooker