Homemade Instant Pot meatballs in Italian tomato sauce made from scratch. This is a healthy meatball recipe with no added sugar or breadcrumbs. It is gluten-free, paleo and Whole30 friendly.
For the meatballs
- 1.5 lb / 700 g ground beef (beef mince)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt (optional, if not using, add 1/2 tsp regular salt)
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1/2 long fresh red chili, chopped (or 1/2 tsp red chili flakes or powder)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 can diced tinned tomatoes (400 ml)
- Combine the ground beef with the spices and salt in a bowl and mix through well using clean hands. Roll the mixture into small 2-inch balls and set aside.
- Press the Sauté key on the Instant Pot (it should say Normal, 30 mins). Add the olive oil, onions, chill and salt and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring a few times. Then press Keep Warm/Cancel.
- Add the meatballs, sprinkle with garlic and pour over the tinned tomatoes. Stir through and spread the meatballs evenly in the sauce.
- Place and lock the lid, making sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to Sealing. Press Manual, High pressure and set to 5 minutes. After 3 beeps the pressure cooker will start going.
- Release the pressure naturally, for about 10 minutes, which will finish cooking the meatballs. Follow by a quick release to let out any remaining pressure.
- Serve over spaghetti, rice, sliced baguettes or with a side of cauliflower rice or steamed vegetables for a Whole30/Paleo friendly meal.
- Serving Size: 3-4 meatballs and sauce
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 2.5 g
- Sodium: 1285.6 mg
- Fat: 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.2 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 39.5 g
- Cholesterol: 105 mg
Keywords: Italian, Ground Beef, Tomatoes