This one-pot Instant Pot French Chicken comes together in less than 30 minutes. In this recipe, a French onion soup meets melt-in-your-mouth shredded chicken and creamy mushroom sauce to make a glorious Instant Pot dinner meal. It’s low-carb, keto and gluten-free friendly.
1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 x packet of French Onion Mix (1.4 0z / 40 g)
2 large chicken breasts (cut into 3 pieces, 1.5 lb / 700 g total)
5 oz / 150 Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
8 oz / 250 g cream cheese
2 green onions, finely diced
- Prep. Cut the chicken breasts into 3 pieces, slice mushrooms, chop garlic and onions and prepare the chicken stock (if making from stock cube).
- Add a cup of low-sodium chiken to the Instant Pot. Stir in half of the French Onion mix and half of the garlic.
- Nestle the chicken breast pieces in the stock and sprinkle with the remaining onion mix and garlic.
- Evenly top with mushrooms and place a block of cream cheese in the middle, do not stir. It will melt into the sauce during cooking.
- Secure and lock the lid. Set to Pressure Cook for 15 minutes on HIGH pressure. The Instant Pot will take about 6-7 minutes to come to pressure. Once the timer is done, leave the pot alone for 5 minutes and then use the quick release to let off the remaining pressure.
- Remove the chicken pieces and shred or dice. Set aside.
- Press the Saute function on the Instant Pot. Use a whisk or a spatula to whip the sauce a few times to break up any clumps of cream cheese. Once the sauce starts to simmer or bubble, the cream cheese will eventually melt completely. Let the sauce bubble for 2-3 minutes to reduce and thicken.
- Return the shredded chicken back to the sauce along with half of the green onions and stir through.
- If you would like to thicken the sauce further, whisk a tablespoon of flour or cornstarch with 2-3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl. Stir it into the chicken and watch the sauce thicken instantly.
- Serve over pasta noodles, rice, mashed potatoes, as a stew with good bread or croutons, or with cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles for a low-carb version.
- Serving Size: 2 scoops of stew
- Calories: 299
- Sugar: 3.8 g
- Sodium: 644.8 mg
- Fat: 11.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.6 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 37.6 g
- Cholesterol: 129.2 mg
Keywords: Chicken Stew, French Onion Soup, Chicken Recipes, Creamy Chicken, Low-carb chicken recipes, Keto chicken recipes, gluten-free chicken recipes, instant pot chicken recipes, dinner