This Instant Pot dirty rice is our version of a popular Creole dish with ground beef, bacon, onions, peppers and celery and a tasty mix of Cajun spices. It’s a one-pot, family-friendly dish that can be served a with a side salad, coleslaw or steamed greens. We used a 6-quart Instant Pot for this recipe.
1.5 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
1/2 cup diced celery (about 1 large stalk/rib)
1 cup diced red or green pepper (about 1 bell pepper)
3 oz / 90 g streaky bacon, diced
3 cloves garlic, finely diced
0.5 lb / 250 g ground beef (we used 95% meat, 5% fat)
1.25 cups dry Basmati or Jasmine rice, rinsed really well
2 tablespoons Cajun spice mix such as this (or see notes below)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or A1 sauce
350 ml vegetable or chicken stock
A handful of parsley, chopped
1–2 scallions, chopped
Fried shallots like these (optional but adds a lovely flavor and texture)
- Turn the Instant Pot and press the Saute function key. Once hot, add the oil, onions, celery, peppers and bacon and cook for 2 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Add garlic and beef and cook for 2 more minutes, breaking the meat apart with a spatula until its color turned from red/pink to greyish.
- Add 1.25 cups of well-rinsed rice, about 2 tablespoons of Cajun spice mix (see notes), a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and 350 ml of veggie or chicken stock. Mix through and press Cancel to stop the Saute function.
- Pop the lid on top, lock and make sure the top valve is pointing to Sealing. Press Manual/Pressure Cook and set the time to 4 minutes at HIGH pressure. The Instant Pot will take 5-8 minutes to build up the pressure first. Once the timer is finished, allow about 5 minutes for natural pressure release (NPR) but not much longer as the rice will keep cooking.
- Use the quick release (point the valve to Venting) to let off the remaining pressure and open the lid. Stir through the rice and serve garnished with chopped scallions and parsley. We topped our rice with some fried shallots as well.
You can use a store-bought Cajun spice mix like this or make your own.
Cajun spice blend
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder or cayenne pepper