Learn how to make quick and easy Instant Pot creamy Italian sausage pasta. This 5-ingredient recipe is perfect for speedy dinners, when on the budget, while travelling with your Instant Pot or making a last-minute meal for friends.
10 oz / 300 g pasta
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups water
8–9 oz / 250 g Italian sausage broken into bite-size pieces
14–15 oz / 400 g favorite tomato sauce from a jar
1.5–2 cups leafy greens (e.g. baby spinach, arugula)
1/3 cup cream (half/half or thick cream)
A pinch of pepper to finish
- Prep. Break the ground sausage into bite-size pieces. You can also make mini meatballs. If using sausage links, cut into small pieces.
- Add ingredients. Add the pasta, salt and water to the pot. The water should barely cover the pasta. Give it a quick stir. Then top the pasta with Italian sausage pieces followed by the tomato pasta sauce. Spread the sauce gently over the top but don’t stir. This will prevent any possible BURN errors from tomato sauce burning.
- Set & cook. Secure and lock the lid; make sure the pressure handle is pointing to Sealing. Select Manual/Pressure Cook and adjust the timer to 5 minutes on HIGH pressure. After a few seconds, the ON sign will come on, indicating the pressure is building (you might also hear 3 beeps on some models); pressurizing will take about 7-10 minutes, and then the 5-minute timer will begin.
- Once the timer is done, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes and after, manually let off the remaining steam (quick release).
- Add the greens. Open the pot, most of the water should have been absorbed into the pasta. While really hot, add the leafy greens to the pasta and stir through. The heat should wilt the greens but you can also pop a lid on top for a minute or two to create some steam.
- Finish with cream. Finally, stir the cream into the pasta. If it’s cold out of the fridge, you might want to press the Keep Warm button and leave the pasta to heat up again. Serve with shaved or grated Parmesan cheese or any other cheese if you have some on hand. Sprinkle with a little pepper (optional).
Sausage: You can use Italian mild or hot ground sausage meat or squeeze the meat out of sausage links.
Cream: You can use half/half or thickened cream, or a lighter version to lower the calories.
Keywords: Instant Pot, Pasta, Easy, Dinner, Italian, Sausage, Spinach