Forget spinach! This season, we’re all about creamed beets. Using the pressure cooker, you can prepare the most delicious, gorgeous looking side. This dish of Instant Pot creamed beets would be a great addition to your Thanksgiving, Christmas or other festive table.
- Turn the Instant Pot on and place a trivet inside the pot. Add a cup of water and place the beets inside over the trivet. Pop the lid on and secure.
- Select Pressure Cook (or Manual on older models) and adjust to 20 minutes on HIGH pressure. After 3 beeps, the Instant Pot will start to heat up and build up the pressure. This will take about 5-7 minutes and the cooking timer will start.
- Once the timer goes off, allow the pressure to release naturally. With the pressure build-up and release, the cooking time should be 35-40 minutes.
- Remove cooked beets from the pot and allow them to cool enough to handle. Peel under running water or while wearing kitchen gloves to avoid stains.
- Once peeled, grate the beets or cut them into small cubes or strips. If using a cutting board, we suggest putting a piece of parchment paper over the top to avoid staining the surface.
- Back to our Instant Pot. Rinse the inner pot and wipe it clean. Place back inside the pot and set to Sauté. Once it’s hot, add the onions and olive oil, and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, nutmeg, butter and the chopped beets. Stir through for 1- minutes.
- Press Cancel to stop the Sauté function. Finally, stir in the cream and lemon juice. Serve with some crumbled feta cheese and chives over the top.
For a vegan and dairy-free version, replace butter with a little more olive oil and use thickened coconut cream or a vegan cream instead of regular cream. Top with crushed almonds or other nus and seeds.
Nutritional breakdown is for 1/2 cup of creamed beets served as s side.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 119
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 474.2 mg
- Fat: 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.5 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 2.2 g
- Cholesterol: 19.4 mg
Keywords: Beets, beetroot, instant pot, pressure cooking, sides, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter