This Mexican-inspired corn and sweet potato Instant Pot soup is made with healthy ingredients, flavourful spices, lime and a little chipotle for a smoky, chili kick. It’s gluten-free, vegan-friendly, and super quick and easy to make.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium red or white onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 corns on the cob, kernels shaved off with a knife (or 1 ½ cups of frozen corn kernels)
1 large sweet potato, diced into small cubes
2 medium carrots, diced into small cubes
3 cloves garlic, diced
3 peels of lime rind
2 teaspoons cumin powder
2 teaspoons coriander seeds (ground or whole crushed seeds)
1 teaspoon chipotle chill flakes or 1 chipotle chilli, chopped up
750 ml (3 x 250 ml cups) vegetable stock (or use water and vegetable stock cube)
Juice of ½ lime
¼ cup sliced red roasted peppers (pickled ones like these)
¼ cup full-fat thick yoghurt or coconut yoghurt
1/3 cup chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
To serve: extra cilantro, yoghurt and fried shallots.
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the Sauté function key.
- Add the olive oil, onions and salt to the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened slightly.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir through and press Keep Warm/Cancel to stop the sautéing process.
- Place and lock the lid, making sure the steam valve is pointing to Sealing. Set the Instant Pot to Manual, HIGH pressure and adjust the time to 6 minutes. After 3 beeps, the Instant Pot will start to build up the pressure and the cooking will commence (this should take 5-10 minutes).
- Once the cooking time is up, release the pressure naturally for 5 minutes, then use the quick release method to let off the rest of the steam (point the steam valve to Venting carefully).
- Open the lid and stir in the lime juice, yoghurt, roasted peppers and cilantro. Serve with extra cilantro, yoghurt and fried shallots on the side or in the bowls.