This Mexican-inspired corn and sweet potato Instant Pot soup is made with healthy ingredients, flavourful spices, lime and a little chipotle for a smoky, chili kick. It’s gluten-free, vegan-friendly, and super quick and easy to make.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium red or white onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 corns on the cob, kernels shaved off with a knife (or 1 ½ cups of frozen corn kernels)
1 large sweet potato, diced into small cubes
2 medium carrots, diced into small cubes
3 cloves garlic, diced
3 peels of lime rind
2 teaspoons cumin powder
2 teaspoons coriander seeds (ground or whole crushed seeds)
1 teaspoon chipotle chill flakes or 1 chipotle chilli, chopped up
750 ml (3 x 250 ml cups) vegetable stock (or use water and vegetable stock cube)
Juice of ½ lime
¼ cup sliced red roasted peppers (pickled ones like these)
¼ cup full-fat thick yoghurt or coconut yoghurt
1/3 cup chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
To serve: extra cilantro, yoghurt and fried shallots.
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the Sauté function key.
- Add the olive oil, onions and salt to the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened slightly.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir through and press Keep Warm/Cancel to stop the sautéing process.
- Place and lock the lid, making sure the steam valve is pointing to Sealing. Set the Instant Pot to Manual, HIGH pressure and adjust the time to 6 minutes. After 3 beeps, the Instant Pot will start to build up the pressure and the cooking will commence (this should take 5-10 minutes).
- Once the cooking time is up, release the pressure naturally for 5 minutes, then use the quick release method to let off the rest of the steam (point the steam valve to Venting carefully).
- Open the lid and stir in the lime juice, yoghurt, roasted peppers and cilantro. Serve with extra cilantro, yoghurt and fried shallots on the side or in the bowls.
For Weight Watchers: 7 SmartPoints per serving. Find more Instant Pot WW recipes here.