Decadent melt-in-your-mouth Instant Pot chocolate lava cakes with a hint of orange zest and extract are perfectly light in texture, yet rich in flavor and gooey in the middle. Make them for a special dessert in 30 minutes!
1 stick unsalted butter (½ cup)
1 cup powdered sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
1 teaspoon orange extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
You will need four ramekins
- Add the steam rack to the pot and 1¼ cups water. Butter four 6 or 7-ounce ramekins.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together. Using a microwave: heat in 30-second increments in a heatproof bowl, stirring between each increment. On the stovetop: add to a small saucepan and heat, stirring, over medium-low heat just until melted.
- Add the melted butter and chocolate to a medium mixing bowl. Add the powdered sugar and salt and whisk until mixed. Add the eggs, egg yolk, orange zest, orange extract, and vanilla and whisk. Add the flour and whisk just until combined.
- Add an equal amount of batter to each prepared ramekin. Cover each with aluminum foil and place on the steam rack. Secure the lid.
- Cook at high pressure for 9 minutes and use a quick release.
- Carefully remove from the cooker and let sit for 3 minutes, still covered. Remove the foil and run a knife around the edge between the cake and the ramekin. Invert onto a plate and serve immediately.
3-quart: Cook in batches | 8-quart: Make as written
Can you reheat lava cakes? You can reheat these chocolate lava cakes by putting them in the oven upside-down on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 lava cake
- Calories: 637
- Sugar: 54.1 g
- Sodium: 198.4 mg
- Fat: 39.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 23.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 65.9 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 9.2 g
- Cholesterol: 229.6 mg
Keywords: Desserts, Chocolate