Learn how to make a delicious Instant Pot cabbage recipe with cheesy, creamy garlic sauce and topped with croutons and parsley. This recipe uses cabbage wedges and is a great side dish for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Sunday Roast or any potluck table. It’s vegetarian-friendly and gluten-free (omit the croutons!).
To cook the cabbage
2 lb / 1kg white/green cabbage, cut into thick wedges (leave the core in)
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
3 cloves of garlic, finely diced
3 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the sauce
1 cup fluid cream (half & half or heavy/thickened for richer consistency)
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons plain flour (all-purpose or gluten-free)
4 tablespoons water
1/2 cup chopped/crushed croutons
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Cut the cabbage into thick wedges with the core intact and set aside.
- Add 1 cup of stock, a third of the garlic and 3 bay leaves in the Instant Pot.
- Place 3-4 cabbage wedges on the bottom. Season with a little salt and pepper and sprinkle another third of garlic on top. Place more cabbage wedges on top, season again and sprinkle with the remaining garlic.
- Secure and lock the lid. Make sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to Sealing (on older models). Press Manual/Pressure Cook button and adjust the time with – and + buttons to 1 minute at HIGH pressure. After a few seconds, the ON sign will display indicating that the pressure is starting to build. This will take about 10 minutes, and then the 1-minute timer will start. Note, some cooking begins during the pressure build-up and this is why we only need 1 minute at HIGH pressure.
- Once the 1 minute is up, leave the Instant Pot undisturbed for 5 minutes for the pressure to release naturally and then use the quick release (point the handle on the top to Venting or press the steam release button down) to let off the remaining pressure. Open the lid.
- Carefully, remove the cabbage wedges to a serving dish. You can use a slotted spoon to scoop out smaller pieces but leave the cooking broth in the pot.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons of flour and water in a small bowl until smooth and set aside.
- Press Cancel to stop the Keep Warm cycle and then press the Saute function button. Add a cup of heavy cream to the pot and let it warm up first. Then, add the cheese and stir it frequently until melted into the sauce.
- To thicken the sauce, pour this slurry flour-water mixture into the cream sauce and press Cancel to stop the Saute process. Stir it in quickly and watch the sauce thicken.
- Pour the cream sauce evenly over the cabbage and sprinkle the croutons and parsley over the top. Serve while hot!
Gluten-free: omit the croutons and either use crushed almonds or other nuts or gluten-free crumbs.
Grilled cheese option: You can take this recipe to the next level by topping the creamy sauce with extra grated cheese and popping the whole dish (as long as it’s heat-proof) under broil or in a hot oven for 5-10 minutes.
Keywords: Instant Pot, Pressure Cooker, Cabbage, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Sides, Side Dish, Cheese, Gluten-Free