Perfect for fall and winter, this Instant Pot butternut squash soup only takes 20-25 minutes from start to finish. It’s gluten-free, paleo, vegetarian and vegan-friendly.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large celery stick, sliced roughly
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1/2 large butternut squash peeled and diced into large cubes (5 cups of diced squash or about 2 lb /1kg)
- 2 large white potatoes, peeled and diced into cubes
- 3 cups of vegetable stock (700 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons double /thick cream or mascarpone cream (coconut cream for dairy-free)
- Parsley, pumpkin seeds and fried shallots to serve
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the Sauté function key. Add the olive oil, onions, celery and garlic to the inner pot and cook for a minute or two. Add the squash and potato and stir through. Add the rest of the ingredients besides the lemon juice and cream and stir. Press Cancel to stop the sauté function.
- Pop the lid on top and lock in place. Set the Instant Pot to Manual, HIGH and adjust to 5 minutes. After 3 beeps the Instant Pot will start to build up the pressure and begin the cooking process. Once the timer goes off, use the quick release to let off the steam and pressure (be careful to stand back when you do this). Open the lid and let the soup cool off for a few minutes.
- In batches, transfer the soup to a food processor or a blender and puree until smooth. You can also use an immersion blender to puree the soup directly in the Instant Pot. Return the pureed soup to the pot and stir in the lemon juice and cream. Taste for salt and add more if needed.
- Serve topped with seeds, deep-fried shallots and parsley or cilantro.
- Serving Size: 1.5 cups + 1 teaspoon pumpkin seeds
- Calories: 328
- Sugar: 8.7 g
- Sodium: 762.3 mg
- Fat: 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 52.9 g
- Fiber: 8.5 g
- Protein: 6.6 g
- Cholesterol: 8.5 mg
Keywords: Kabocha Squash, Pumpkin, Vegan