Turn your favorite finger food into a delicious main dish with this Instant Pot buffalo chicken soup recipe. It’s hearty, comforting and packs in just enough heat to tantalise your tastebuds. Made with diced chicken, veggies, hot sauce, and cream cheese, the soup is also served with crumbled blue cheese and some sour cream or ranch for that lovely cooling touch.
8 tablespoons butter (about 1 stick)
1 medium onion, finely diced
3 cups diced carrots (baby carrots, diced into cubes or sliced)
3 cups diced celery
1 teaspoon garlic powder (or 2 cloves garlic, diced)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes/chili
4 cups diced chicken breast or thighs (or mix)
1 cup hot sauce (you can add more if you like more heat)
1 cup half and half
8 cups (64 oz) chicken stock
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
16 oz (450 g) cream cheese or light cream cheese
4 tablespoons of ranch dressing mix (optional) or sour cream/yogurt (if you prefer a milder soup)
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
Celery sticks, toasted bread or croutons, diced bell peppers.
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the Saute button. Melt the butter in the bottom.
- Once the butter has melted add the onions, celery and carrots. Sauté until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic powder, thyme and red pepper flakes. Cook for approximately 2 minutes on Saute.
- Add the diced chicken, hot sauce, half and half and most of the chicken stock (reserve about 1 cup of the stock in a bowl). Let the soup come to a boil. In the meantime, whisk the flour in the reserved cup of chicken stock until dissolved and smooth. Stir into the soup (this will thicken the liquid).
- Put the lid on, secure and make sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to Sealing (not on newer models). Press Manual/Pressure Cook button and set the timer to 10 minutes, on HIGH pressure. After a few seconds, the ON notification will come on and the pressure will start to begin, which will take about 10 minutes. Then the cooking timer will comment.
- Once the timer is done, let the Instant Pot rest and release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. Then use the top release handle (point to Venting) to quickly release the remaining pressure manually. Let instant pot release naturally for 10 minutes and then release manually.
- Take the lid off and add the cream cheese into the hot soup. Stir until combined and melted into the soup. You can also press the Saute function back on to bring the soup to a simmer if the cream isn’t melting in.
- Taste the soup for heat, salt and pepper. Season further if you like. You can also add some plain yoghurt/sour cream or ranch dressing at this point to mellow down the heat further.
- Serve with diced bell peppers, celery sticks, fluffy or crusty bread or croutons and of course some blue cheese if you wish.
- For a smaller batch (4 servings), simply half the ingredients but keep the cooking times the same.
- For a gluten-free version, replace all-purpose flour tapioca flour, arrowroot or gluten-free flour blend.
- For a keto/low-carb version, reduce the stock by about a cup to keep it thicker without adding the flour. You can also reduce the flour to just 1 tablespoon.
Keywords: Soup, Hot Sauce, Chicken, Main