This quick and easy Instant Pot broccoli soup is served with an aromatic and zesty gremolata made of parsley and lemon zest on top. It’s vegan, gluten-free and Whole30 friendly. Serve with crust bread or toast and grated cheese if you tolerate dairy.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large celery stick, diced
- 1 lb / 450-500 g broccoli, cut into quarters and the stems diced roughly
- 2 medium white potatoes (350 g / 0.7 lb), peeled and diced into small cubes
- 2 large cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 litre of water or/and vegetable stock cube (4 x 250 ml cups)
- 2 +1/2 teaspoons salt (use less if using vegetable stock)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup coconut cream/milk (the thickened part of the coconut milk in a can) – optional!
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (to finish)
- 1 lemon, zest only
- Large handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped (optional)
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the Sauté function key. Add the olive oil, onions and celery. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except for the lemon and parsley) and stir through. Press Cancel/Keep Warm to stop the sauté process. Place and lock the lid, then press Manual, High pressure for 3 minutes. After 3 beeps, the Instant Pot will start to build up the pressure. Once the cooking is done and the timer goes off, allow 2-3 minutes for natural pressure release and then use the quick release method to let out the rest of the pressure/steam.
- In the meantime, grate the peel of the lemon and chop the parsley. You can also use a peeler to cut the rind off and chop it very finely. Combine the lemon zest and parsley together with the garlic, if using, in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the juice of 1/2 lemon to the soup mixture. Transfer the soup, in batches, to a food processor or a blender (be careful with the hot soup in plastic blenders!) and process into puree. Return to the pot and stir in the coconut cream or crème fraîche/sour cream (if okay with dairy), or go without. Add more salt and pepper, if you wish.
- Serve the soup in bowls topped with a teaspoon or two of the gremolata.
If you tolerate dairy, you can serve this soup with grated cheese over the top.
Keywords: Whole30, Vegan, Gluten-Free