Delicious and flavorful Instant Pot braised green beans Turkish-style. This dish is usually slow-cooked but is made quicker in the pressure cooker. For best taste, serve after cooling but the stew is also great warm or hot. It can be eaten on its own or over rice, potatoes or pasta. Also geat as a side dish. It’s vegetarian and vegan-friendly, gluten-free and Whole30/paleo.
1 large onion, finely diced
1/2 cup olive oil (you can use a little less but you do need A LOT for this dish to work)
2 garlic cloves, diced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar (omit for Whole30/paleo)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 medium fresh tomatoes, finely chopped
1.5 lb fine green beans, tails cut off (about 650 g)
1/2 cup vegetable stock
To serve: Parsley or mint
Yoghurt or lemon juice
Bread, rice, potatoes
- Sauté. Turn the Instant Pot on and press the Sauté button. It should say Normal on the display (this indicates heat level). Allow the bottom to heat up for a couple of minutes, then add the olive oil and onions and cook for 7 minutes. If they start to brown too quickly, press the Sauté button again to cycle to Less setting, this will bring the heat down.
- Once onions are soft and golden, add garlic, salt, pepper and sugar and stir through. Add tomatoes and stir in. Press Cancel to stop the Sauté process. Now add the green beans and the stock and stir through well.
- Set & Cook. Secure and lock the lid; make sure the pressure handle is pointing to Sealing on Duo Classic. Select Manual/Pressure Cook and adjust the timer to 5 minutes on LOW pressure (use the Pressure level button to change the setting) After a few beeps/seconds, the ON sign will come on indicating the pot is heating up and the pressure is building; pressurizing will take about 5-7 minutes and then the 5-minute timer will begin.
- Once the timer is done, allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Open the lid and stir the beans. You can taste for salt but we recommend that you allow the beans to cool off slightly before adjusting the seasoning.
- This dish can be served hot or warm right away but for best results, it’s best after cooling.
Serve with some bread or rolls or as a side dish with rice, potatoes, pasta, meat or fish. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days, take out of the fridge 30 minutes prior to bring to room temperature.
Keywords: Green beans, Braised, Stew, Instant Pot, Vegetarian, Turkish, Pressure Cooker, Gluten-Free, Whole30, Paleo, Vegan