This Instant Pot beef roast with potatoes and carrots cooks in record time, making it perfect for a weeknight dinner or a stress-free special occasion!
4 tsp olive oil, divided
2 lbs boneless chuck roast, trimmed
1/2 onion, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 + 1/2 cups organic, low-sodium beef broth or stock
2 tbsps tomato paste
3–4 sprigs of thyme (optional)
6 carrots, chopped thick and on a diagonal
3 cups of baby potatoes, skin left on
Himalayan or sea salt
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce or coconut aminos
Thickener of your choice – tapioca, arrowroot, rice flour, or cornstarch
Optional for the gravy: 1 tsp balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
- Trim all fat from the chuck roast steak, then sprinkle salt on each side (about ½ teaspoon).
- Turn the Instant Pot, set it to Sauté and wait until it heats up. Add 2 teaspoons of the olive oil and sear meat on both sides. Remove roast from the pot.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the pot and add the onions and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes until fragrant, then deglaze with broth, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce or coconut aminos. Get all those brown bits up from the bottom of the pot to flavour your meat and veggies and make a killer gravy!
- Add the beef back to the pot, along with potatoes. Place carrots in a steamer basket on top of the meat and potatoes. Lock the lid and set for HIGH pressure for 60 minutes.
- After cook time, release the pressure naturally, it should take about 15 minutes. If you are hangry or impatient, you could switch it over to quick release anytime after this point and you will be good.
- Remove the beef roast and the veggies to a casserole dish. Enjoy as is or make a quick gravy by removing 1/2 cup of the stock and mixing it with 1 tablespoon of your thickener. Add this slurry back to the Instant Pot and set the IP to Sauté again. Simmer until the gravy thickens to your liking, stirring frequently. Taste for salt and pepper and season as needed. You might also like to add a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar or lemon juice.
Keywords: Beef Pot Roast, Potatoes, Carrots, Roast, Gravy