Bring a little Texan BBQ into your kitchen with these succulent Instant Pot beef short ribs smothered in smokey tomato sauce. Serve with a side of greens, rice, mash or sweet potatoes.
- 8 oz (227 g) short ribs
- Sea salt and pepper
- 3 teaspoon (15 ml) olive oil, avocado oil or lard
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 1⁄2 cup (118 ml) high-quality store-bought ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup (118 ml) crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) local honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- Optional: 1 teaspoon (5 ml) gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- Fresh thyme, optional
- To serve: Potato Salad & Steamed Greens (recipes in the cookbook)
- First season your short ribs with sea salt and pepper. Drizzle the cooking oil into the stainless steel bowl and press the Sauté button. After the oil heats, around a minute or so, transfer the seasoned ribs and onions into the oil. Cook the ribs on each side for about 3 minutes.
- Combine the ketchup, tomatoes, honey, onion powder, liquid smoke, garlic powder, sea salt and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl and stir. Now pour the sauce over the ribs, secure the lid and close the pressure valve. Press the Manual button, and set the time or press then the “-” button until the display reads 28 minutes. Allow the cooking cycle to complete. Quick-release the pressure valve and remove the lid once safe to do so.
- Remove the ribs from the sauce, which will become quite oily. Ladle off as much of the fat as you wish to before reducing the BBQ sauce. It’s okay to leave a little fat. Now press the Sauté button once more and allow the sauce to simmer for about 10 minutes. As it reduces, the onions and sauce could potentially stick to the bottom of the stainless steel bowl, so use a spoon to shift the contents if this begins to happen. Once the sauce has reached your desired texture and thickness, spoon it on top of the ribs and serve. Garnish with fresh thyme if desired.
- This dish is great paired with a potato salad and steamed greens with bacon, both of which can be found in the cookbook.
Keywords: Ribs, BBQ, Texan