These incredible Instant Pot baked beans will make your mouth water. Made with a secret ingredient or two, they are vegan and gluten-free, and perfect for meal prepping on the weekend.
- 1 + 1/2 cups dry cannellini beans (or other beans of choice)
- 20–25 g / 1 oz. dried porcini mushrooms or shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1/2 long red chili diced or sliced (can be omitted)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced into small cubes
- 400 ml (1 can) of chopped tinned tomatoes or tomato passata
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or Tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 onion stock cube or 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (or 1+1/2 regular)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice powder
- 2 bay leaves
- Add dried beans to a large bowl and fill up with double the water. Mix in a teaspoon of salt and soak overnight (minimum 8 hours). Strain and rinse before using.
- Soak the dried porcini mushrooms in a cup of warm water for 10-20 minutes, until rehydrated.
- Turn on the Instant Pot and press the Sauté function key. Add the olive oil, onions and chili and cook for 5 minutes, stirring a couple of time.
- Remove the mushrooms from the water (but reserve the water) and chop into small pieces.
- After 5 minutes of cooking, the rest of the ingredients, beans, chopped mushrooms, and the reserved mushroom liquid and stir through. Press Keep Warm/Cancel.
- Place the lid and lock. Set to Manual, High pressure, and set for 15 minutes. After three beeps the Instant Pot will begin to build up the pressure and start cooking. If cooking un-soaked beans, set the timer to 35 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, release the pressure naturally, for about 10-15 minutes. Open the lid and stir the beans. Serve over toast, rice or any other way you like. These will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 304
- Sugar: 8.3 g
- Sodium: 654.7 mg
- Fat: 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 49.1 g
- Fiber: 11.4 g
- Protein: 15.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: breakfast, vegan, beans, mushrooms