This hearty, Italian Instant Pot bean and pork stew is an absolute family favourite, featuring ground pork meat, juicy tomatoes, and legumes of your choice.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced into cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 0.5 lb ground pork meat (250–280 g)
- 3.5 oz / 100 g diced smoked bacon (i.e. lardons or speck)
- 3–4 fresh thyme sprigs (or about 1 teaspoon of dried thyme)
- 1/2 red chili, diced (or ½ teaspoon dried chili flakes)
- 3 large cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 lb / 450-500g white potatoes, peeled and diced (3 medium potatoes)
- 2 cups cooked mixed beans of choice (cannellini, navy beans or borlotti beans etc, canned are fine)
- 500 g / 2 +1/2 cups tinned chopped tomatoes or tinned cherry tomatoes (tomato passata/puree can also be used, we love Mutti brand of canned tomatoes)
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- To serve: grated Parmesan cheese or other cheese of choice
- Prepare all the ingredients and turn on the Instant Pot. Press the Sauté function key and let the pot to heat up slightly. Add the olive oil, onion, celery and carrot with 1 teaspoon of salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add the pork and diced bacon and cook together with the vegetables for about for 2-3 minutes, stirring through and breaking the meat apart with a spatula. Then, add the rest of the ingredients, except for fresh parsley and lemon juice, and stir through. Press Cancel/Keep Warm to stop the Sauté function.
- Place and lock the lid, making sure the steam valve is set to Sealing. Press Manual function, HIGH pressure and adjust the time to 6 minutes. After 3 beeps, the Instant Pot will start to build up the pressure, which will take about 5-7 minutes, and the cooking will begin. Once the timer goes off, allow 10 minutes for natural pressure release; then, use a quick pressure release method by carefully moving the valve to Venting.
- To finish the stew, stir in the lemon juice and parsley and serve with grated cheese on the side (if you wish).
Keywords: Italian Bean Pork Stew Carrots Potatoes Parmesan