- 1 large leek (white and pale green parts only), halved, washed and diced
- 1 oz / 28 g of butter (salted or unsalted, ghee or 2 tablespoons of olive oil)
- 2 medium chicken breasts (0.7 lb / 350 g ), diced
- 4 skinless chicken thighs (0.5 lb / 300g ), diced
- 3–4 large potatoes (about 1.7 lb / 800 g), diced into large cubes (larger than chicken pieces)
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cube of chicken stock (or 400 ml / 1.5 cups broth)
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 400 ml (1 + 1/2 cups) water
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the Sauté function.
- Add the leeks and butter and cook for 4-5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Reserve half of the peas (if using) for later.
- Stir everything in the pot, and press the Keep Warm/Cancel button to stop the Sauté process.
- Place and lock the lid, making sure the top vent is pointing to Sealing. Press the Manual setting, HIGH pressure and adjust the time to 10 minutes. After 3 beeps the Instant Pot will start to build up the pressure and begin the cooking process. The pressure should take about 10 minutes to build, plus 10 minutes of cooking, so about 20 minutes in total.
- In the meantime, add the remaining frozen peas to a bowl of boiling hot water to defrost.
- Once the timer goes off, allow 5 minutes for the pressure to release naturally; then, use a quick release method (move the top vent knob to Venting, while standing away from the Instant Pot as the steam will shoot up in the air).
- Open the lid, stir through and serve topped with the remaining defrosted peas and a little extra lemon zest and black pepper for garnish, if you like.
For a dairy-free version, replace butter with ghee or olive oil.
White potato can be replaced with sweet potato.