Learn how to make quick and easy Instant Pot chicken tacos with avocado and salsa verde. This 5-ingredient recipe is perfect for speedy dinners, when on the budget, while travelling with your Instant Pot or making a last-minute meal for friends.
2–3 medium chicken breasts, cut into 1– to 2-inch pieces
2–3 tablespoons favourite taco spice mix
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
A jar of salsa verde
Optional: fresh cilantro and lime
The recipe works with either 2 or 3 chicken breasts using the same amount of water. Adjust the taco spice amount based on the chicken, 1 tablespoon per chicken breast.
- Prep. Cut chicken into 1 to 2-inch pieces. Mix the chicken in the taco spice mix.
- Add ingredients. Add the seasoned chicken, a cup of water and half a teaspoon of salt to the Instant Pot and stir through.
- Set & cook. Secure and lock the lid; make sure the pressure handle is pointing to Sealing. Select Manual/Pressure Cook and adjust the timer to 10 minutes on HIGH pressure. After a few seconds, the ON sign will come on, indicating the pressure is building (you might also hear 3 beeps on some models); pressurizing will take about 7 minutes, and then the 5-minute timer will begin.
- Once the timer is done, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes and after, manually let off the remaining steam (quick release).
- Prepare other ingredients. In a hot frying pan or the oven, toast tortillas until slightly puffed up and golden brown. Stor warm tortillas under a towel. Slice avocado and prepare the salsa verde for the table.
- Finish the chicken. Open the lid. Remove the chicken pieces to a bowl and shred them into strips using a knife and fork; you can also dice the meat. Scoop a couple of tablespoons of the cooking broth over the shredded chicken.
- Build your tacos!
Pressurizing time: 7 minutes | Cooking under pressure: 10 minutes (on HIGH) | Release: 5 minutes NPR + Quick Release Total cooking time: 22 minutes
CHICKEN: you can also use 4 x skinless chicken thighs in this recipe.
ADDITIONAL TOPPINGS: fresh cilantro, grated cheese if you like, diced pineapple works well here as well.
Keywords: Instant Pot, Pressure Cooker, Chicken, Tacos, Salsa Verde, Dinner, Easy, Quick