This Instant Pot borscht is such a lovely, hearty beet soup and it’s quick and easy when made with the pressure cooker. It’s delicious, full of nutrients. vegan-friendly, and gluten-free.
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large white potatoes, peeled and diced into small cubes (about 1lb / 450 g)
- 1 large carrot, grated (about 4.5 oz/ 125 g)
- 2 medium beets or 3 small ones, grated (7–8 oz / 200–250 g)
- 1/4 medium white cabbage, thinly sliced (12 oz / 350 g)
- 4 medium cloves of garlic, diced
- 10–15 g / 1 oz dried porcini mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cube beef stock (or replace with another vegetable cube for vegan version)
- 1 cube vegetable stock (I like this organic brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1.25 Litres filtered water (5 x 250 ml cups)
- Fresh parsley and sour cream/yoghurt to serve
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the Sauté function key (it should say High, 30 mins).
- Add the onions and olive oil and sauté for 2 minutes, until softened. Add potatoes, carrots and beets, and stir through, then add the cabbage, garlic and the rest of the ingredients. Stir through and press Keep Warm/Cancel button.
- Place and lock the lid, make sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to Sealing. Press Manual (High Pressure) and set to 10 minutes. After 3 beeps the pressure cooker will start going. Once the time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then use the quick release to let off the rest of the steam.
- Serve the soup with chopped fresh parsley and a dollop of sour cream or full-fat Greek yoghurt.
I suggest using kitchen gloves when grating the beets or do it near the sink so you can quickly rinse your hands after handling the stain-prone beetroot.
Dried porcini mushrooms add a lovely umami flavour. You can get them at most deli shops and online. Regular mushrooms or dried shiitake mushrooms can be used instead.
This beet soup keeps well in the refrigerator – 3-4 days – and it’s delicious cold or hot. You can add pieces of some cooked beans or beef/chicken for extra protein.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 279
- Sugar: 12.4 g
- Sodium: 1235 mg
- Fat: 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 53.4 g
- Fiber: 9.7 g
- Protein: 7.3 g
- Cholesterol: 4.2 mg