This Instant Pot friendly chicken salad is inspired by a Brazilian Salpicão de Frango and has an Asian twist with curry mayo dressing. It’s great for spring, summer potlucks and picnics and you can make a lot of the elements in this dish ahead of time. Chicken can be cooked in a frying pan or oven as well.
3 chicken breasts
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1.5 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup water (that goes in the pot)
For the salad
2 sticks celery, sliced thinly
1 medium carrot, grated
2 scallions/spring onions, diced
1/3 cup raisins or sultanas
1/2 cup sweet corn
Curry Mayo Dressing
1/3 cup regular or light mayonnaise
1/4 cup Greek yoghurt or sour cream
1 garlic clove, minced or grated
1.5 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2–3 cups roughly cut lettuce of choice
Garnishes: fried shallots and fresh herbs like parsley and cilantro, or crispy shoestring fry potato sticks.
- Cook the chicken. Season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, garlic powder and curry powder. Add a cup of water to the inner pot of the Instant Pot and place the trivet inside. Place chicken breasts on top of the trivet. Close the lid, lock and make sure the top valve is pointing to Sealing. Press Manual/Pressure Cook (depending on model) and set to 5 minutes at HIGH pressure. The Instant Pot will take about 5-7 minutes to come to pressure and the timer will begin. Once done, allow 10 minutes for natural pressure release (NPR) and then point the top valve to Venting to let off the remaining pressure/steam. Remove the chicken to a cutting board to cool off slightly.
- Prepare the salad ingredients. Thinly slice the celery, grate the carrot and dice the scallions. Get the corn and raisins ready.
- Make the dressing. Combine all the ingredients and whisk until smooth. You can make the dressing ahead of time.
- Shred the chicken. Once cooled off slightly, use a knife and fork to pull the meat apart into shreds. You can also cut it into strips or cubes.
- Assemble. Add chicken to the salad and mix with the dressing until well coated. Serve over roughly cut lettuce or mixed salad leaves and top with fried shallots or crispy shoestring fries.
Stovetop or oven-baked chicken methods: Instead of using the Instant Pot, you can also pan-fry the chicken breasts for 6-7 minutes each side or bake them in the oven for about 20-25 minutes at 390 F/200 C.
Weight Watchers smart points: 13 (or 11 with light mayo)
- Serving Size: 1 cup with lettuce and 1 tbsp fried shallots or crushed potato crisps
- Calories: 507
- Sugar: 11.8 g
- Sodium: 1159.2 mg
- Fat: 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.2 g
- Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 50.3 g
- Cholesterol: 158.9 mg
Keywords: Brazilian, Summer, Chicken Breast, Salads