Make a batch of this tender and juice Instant Pot pulled pork to use up in multiple meals: tacos, burritos, salads, wraps, casseroles or serve with rice and salad. It’s a Barbacoa inspired recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion,
- 700 g / 1.5 lb diced pork (shoulder)
- 5–6 garlic cloves, roughly diced
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle chili flakes (see notes above)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon allspice powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup chicken stock
- A handful of fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Press the Sauté key on the Instant Pot. Add the oil and once hot, add the onions and cook for 2 minutes, stirring a couple of times. Add the pork, stir and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the garlic and spices, stir and then add the rest of the ingredients. Cancel the Sauté function by pressing Keep Warm/Cancel button.
- Place and lock the lid, make sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to Sealing. Press Manual (High Pressure) and adjust to 20 minutes. After 3 beeps the pressure cooker will start going.
- Once the timer goes off, allow the pressure to release for 3-4 minutes and then use the quick release method before opening the lid.
- Using a potato masher, press down the meat and flake it into shreds. You could do this with a fork, but I find that the masher works really well. Press Sauté key again and cook the shredded meat in its broth for 7-8 minutes, stirring a few times. This will evaporate some of the liquid and thicken the sauce.
- Serve the pork with extra lime wedges and fresh cilantro.
Keywords: Barbacoa, Tex Mex, Pork, Tacos, Meal Prep